This is an awesome take on the ultimate bar food… Potato Skins! The tender sweet potato makes the perfect vessel for some delicious pulled pork, smoked cheddar cheese and a side of creamy BBQ flavored slaw.
1 lb. Pulled Pork chopped in bite size chunks w/BBQ sauce mixed in
½ cup of a BBQ Sauce with a nice vinegar bite(EAT IPO works well)
4-6 medium size sweet potatoes, not too large since we’re using them for skins. Think single serving size when sliced in half lengthwise.
1 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese
1 package apple smoked bacon
Oakridge BBQ Secret Weapon rub for seasoning
1 bag slaw mix
½ cup rQ Ivory BBQ Sauce
2 tbls. Nakano Garlic Infused Rice Wine Vinegar
½ cup finely chopped Sweet Red Pepper
- Either par-boil or pre-bake your sweet potatoes. Make sure they’re NOT over cooked. Let them rest and come to room temperature.
- Slice the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides leaving a good ¼ inch of flesh inside the skins.
- Apply a light dusting of your favorite BBQ rub to the inside of the skins.
- Mix in ½ cup of BBQ sauce(EAT IPO) with the pulled pork.
- Spoon the pork into the sweet potato skins and top with shredded smoked cheddar cheese.
- Arrange the skins inside a foil pan and put into your grill/smoker using indirect heat at about 300 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. Do NOT place the pan over direct heat… you don’t want the bottoms of the skins to get burnt.
- Take the skins out of the grill/smoker and apply a spoonful of the rQ slaw mix on top, lightly dust with BBQ rub and serve. Or, serve the slaw on the side and sprinkle bacon bits on top.