This recipe is a twist on the ever popular “Bacon Explosion” featuring a bacon weave wrapped around sausage and smoked/grilled. I love taking the basic premise of this recipe and adding a couple of tasty and unique ingredients. The great thing about these “explosions” or “fattys” as they’re called, is that they slice up so beautiful and fit perfectly on a toasted bun! This particular version uses pounded marinated chicken breasts and has a touch of Italian to it!
What you’ll need:
- 2 Large Boneless/skinless breasts
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage- ground
- 1 package thick sliced bacon
- ¼ Grated Provolone Cheese
- Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria Rub
- Roasted red peppers
- Fresh basil
- Grated Provolone Cheese
- 1 16 oz. bottle of Smoke On Wheels BBQ Marinade
- 1. Split the chicken breasts in half lengthwise. Pound the breasts out with a meat tenderizer to about ¼ inch thickness.
- 2. Place the breasts in a doubled up freezer bag and pour in the Smoke On Wheels BBQ Marinade. Marinade the breasts for at least 3 hours and up to 6 hours.
- 3. Assemble your bacon weave using the “8 Strip” process.
- 4. Take the Italian sausage and put it into a 2 lb. zip lock bag. Lay the bag flat and use a rolling pin to roll the sausage out flat from corner to corner.
- 5. With a knife or kitchen shears, cut along each edge of the zip lock bag from the opening so you can peel back the top of the bag.
- 6. Gently lay the sausage on top of the bacon.
- 7. Dust the sausage with Oakridge Santa Maria rub and lay the chicken breasts on top of the sausage.
- 8. Lay strips of roasted red pepper and basil along one half of the chicken.
- 9. Sprinkle the grated provolone cheese on top of the peppers and basil.
- 10. From the end of the bacon weave where the peppers and cheese are… tightly roll the entire weave into a roll.
- 11. Place roll into half foil pan and transfer onto grill at 325 degrees.
- 12. Cook for about 15-20 minutes in the foil pan so the roll can “set”.
- 13. Remove the roll from the pan and finish directly on the grill until internal temperature reads 165 degrees.
- 14. Let the roll rest for fifteen minutes and slice into medallions for serving.